During this year's Welcoming Week, September 13-22, our Y will join Welcoming America and hundreds of YMCAs and other organizations nationwide in hosting events to celebrate immigrants’ contributions to communities and bring together all residents in a spirit of unity.
We believe Middle Tennessee is stronger when everyone in the community feels welcome and we can all work together for the common good. Welcoming Week is an opportunity for neighbors—both immigrants and U.S.-born—to connect, find common ground and celebrate our shared values.
During Welcoming Week, our centers will offer various activities and events, including the following:
Friday, Sept. 13:
- Donelson YMCA – Active Older Adults Pizza + Movie at 1pm showing Pixar’s Coco, a film highlighting Mexico’s Dia de Los Muertos celebration
Saturday, Sept. 14:
- Margaret Maddox YMCA – International Sweets Day
- Donelson YMCA – Venezuelan Cultural Celebration from 4pm-4:30pm
Monday, Sept. 16:
- Franklin YMCA – Welcoming Week Kickoff Event from 9am to 12pm. Come discover items of ‘good fortune’ from countries around the world and enjoy snacks and drinks.
- Clarksville YMCA – Food Tasting Event with Kimo’s Hawaiian Grill starting at 9am
Tuesday, Sept. 17:
- Donelson YMCA – Y-Play International Story Time at 9am and again at 6pm
- Donelson YMCA – Nashville Complete Count Committee Booth on the importance of the 2020 Census from 9:30am to 10:30am
- Y-CAP – Open House where neighbors are invited to come and learn about the Y’s Youth Programs
- Clarksville YMCA – Blackhorse Brewery Pizza samples will be available
Wednesday, Sept. 18:
- Donelson YMCA – Chez Lamar Haitian Food Tasting at 12pm
- Downtown YMCA – International Zumba Demo at 5pm on the 2nd Floor
- Christ Church YMCA – Bollywood Zumba Group Fitness Class at 6:30pm
- Franklin YMCA – ‘Greetings’ Event from 9am to 12pm. Come interact with staff and other members and learn how to say ‘hello’ in different languages.
- Margaret Maddox YMCA – International Recipe Day
Thursday, Sept. 19:
- Donelson YMCA – Y-Play International Book Giveaway
- Christ Church YMCA – Bilingual Story Time with the Hispanic Family Foundation from 10:30am to 11:30am
- Maryland Farms YMCA – Cultural Celebration from 11am to 1pm with the City Commissioner, Chaplain Dori Gorman, a performance from Friends Life at 12:30pm, food trucks, and more!
- Franklin YMCA – ‘Let’s Get Involved’ Event from 9am to 12pm. Come get an information ‘goodie bag’ which will include pamphlets and brochures from local organizations which support diversity and inclusion in our community.
- Clarksville YMCA – Active Older Adults International Potluck
Friday, Sept. 20:
- Northwest YMCA – Sharing Plates Event (International Potluck)
Saturday, Sept. 21:
- Northwest YMCA – Interfaith Prayer Service