about the ymca-hbcu alliance
The YMCA of Middle Tennessee and Nashville’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities formed an Alliance in 2019 for the purpose of working toward a financially sustainable future for the Northwest Family YMCA.
Formally, the partners that comprise the YMCA-HBCU Alliance are the three private HBCU’s: American Baptist College, Fisk University, Meharry Medical College, and the YMCA of Middle Tennessee.
Tennessee State University (TSU) will be involved at the project level, but because they are a public institution, there are more barriers to move things forward at an organizational level.
The steering committee is made up of 9 members from Nashville’s 3 private HBCUs, the community, and the YMCA. Members include:
- Atty. Phyllis Hildreth, Vice President for Institutional Strategy & Chief of Staff, American Baptist College
- Dr. Dexter Samuels, Senior Vice President for Student Affairs, Meharry Medical College
- Dr. Gary Edwards, Dean of Students, Fisk University (Interim until another designated university representative is identified)
- Johari Matthews, Programs Director, Tennessee Titans
- Dr. Brittany L. Mosby, Director of HBCU Success, Tennessee Higher Education Commission
- Additional Community Representative (currently vacant)
- Jessica Fain, Chief Strategy Officer, YMCA of Middle Tennessee
- Alicia Sanchez-Pelc, Vice President of Operational Strategy, YMCA of Middle Tennessee
- Roy Brown III, Executive Director at Northwest Family YMCA, YMCA of Middle Tennessee