Some foods famously taste better together. Think spaghetti and meatballs, ham and cheese, or peanut butter and jelly.
But did you know some foods are actually better for your body when paired? Try these five power combos to maximize your nutrition intake.
1. Eggs and Sweet PotatoesSearch the planet over, and you’ll be hard-pressed to find any food more nutritious than a simple egg. Each one is packed with protein, vitamins, minerals, and more. Pair a few with sweet potatoes, which are rich in vitamin A and antioxidants, and you’ve got a vitalizing combo.
Recipe: Wake up with this breakfast scramble from Paleo Leap.
2. Fresh Broccoli and HorseradishAll hail broccoli for its cancer-fighting powers! Unfortunately, cooking the vegetable reduces these powers, and many people don’t like the taste of raw broccoli. But there’s good news. Studies show that pairing broccoli with a spicy food containing the enzyme myrosinase—like horseradish or mustard—can pump up the nutrition intake. The added flavor is a bonus!
3. Salmon and KaleKale, the king of greens, offers an amazing source of calcium. In order to absorb calcium, the body also needs vitamin D. So combine kale with salmon—a food high in vitamin D—and voila! A power pair is born!
Recipe: Try Sprouted Kitchen's lemon kale salad and seared salmon.
4. Quinoa and Bell PeppersQuinoa—what’s not to love? Along with being one of the healthiest and most nutritious foods on the earth, quinoa is gluten-free. It contains all the essential amino acids, and it provides a great source of iron. But hold up: your body needs help absorbing plant-based iron. Enter red peppers. The vitamin C in the peppers aids with iron absorption—giving your energy a boost.
Recipe: Invite friends over for Whole Foods' roasted bell peppers stuffed with quinoa.
5. Avocado and CarrotsThis dynamic duo is a win for your skin and immune system. Avocado contains good fat. Your body needs this good fat to help it absorb the beta-carotene in the carrots and to convert the vitamin A into a form your body can use. Compliment carrot sticks with a fresh bowl of guacamole next time you choose a dip!
Establish Healthy Habits with the Y
Hungry for more in-depth, personalized nutrition advice? Learn about nutrition counseling, classes and other events offered at a Y near you by our experienced team of RDs. Let us partner with you in reaching your wellness goals!