As we begin the process of updating and refreshing our facility we want to keep you informed! Thank you for your continued patience as we all navigate through the excitement and challenges of construction.
Though the Downtown YMCA will stay OPEN during construction we would like to remind all members that they are welcome to visit any of our YMCA of Middle Tennessee branches throughout construction. We look forward to sharing the refreshed 100,000 square-foot state-of-the-art center with you upon completion!
Know Before You Go
- Beginning Monday, Nov. 28, through Wednesday, Nov. 30, temporary walls will be installed to the left of the elevators to begin sectioning off the older building portion. During this transition, a walk-through will be available to members to maintain access to the indoor pool, locker rooms, racquetball courts and basketball gymnasium. Members will have access to these areas until the close of business on Wednesday, November 30.
- Beginning Thursday, Dec.1, the older portion of the building will become inaccessible to members. This closure will result in significant changes throughout the center as outlined in the FAQ below.
The Y will continue to provide updates to members regarding any construction-related designs and renovation plans once new information becomes available.
- The parking lot located behind the building off of 10th Avenue will close to both members and staff beginning Thursday, Dec. 1. This space will be reserved for construction only.
- The parking garage connected to our center will remain open and available for member use for the duration of construction.
- The closure of the back parking lot will also require the closure of the back entrance to the center.
- The main entrance to the center (front glass doors) will be closed and re-routed through the YMCA Way parking garage. Members can use either the elevators or the designated stairwell inside the garage to access the facility and wellness floors.
- All members must check in on Level 2. There will be check-in stations and staff available outside the elevators and stairwell, near Group Fitness Studio A, to assist members.
- Please look for signage throughout the facility to help with navigation.
As construction begins on the old portion of our building, the following spaces will be closed to members:
- Back parking lot and entrance
- Basketball gymnasium
- Chapel (relocated to 4th floor)
- Indoor pool
- Locker rooms (relocated off the wellness floor)
- Main entrance and lobby
- Racquetball courts
- Cycling studio (relocated off the track on the third floor)
- Y-Play (relocated to former personal training space)
A temporary men's and women's locker room has been created off the main wellness floor. Both of these spaces include access to toilets, showers and lockers. Members can utilize these locker rooms beginning Thursday, Dec. 1.
Our Y-Play (ages 6 weeks - 6 years old) area will be housed in the space formerly used for personal training. At this time, we will not be able to offer care for children over the age of six. For the safety of your children, please DO NOT walk through the center of the wellness floor to access Y-Play. We ask that all parents use the hallway near Studio A to access this area. Please be aware that reservations will be required and care will be limited to a 1-hour time limit.
Our cycling studio found a temporary home on the third floor, located off the track. There will be signage outside the studio to help direct class participants.
Physical therapy and massage will now be located on the fourth floor. Patients and clients can access this floor using the elevators.